About this job
- Industry: Oil & Gas
- Area of expertise: Project Management & Services
- Location: Queensland
What is required?
- Hours per week: 40
- Education level: Academic Bachelor
- Closing date: Monday, 24 January 2022
About this role: Senior Market Risk Analyst
About this role: Senior Market Risk Analyst
Seeking a Senior Market Risk Analyst to work in Brisbane.
Brunel Australasia are currently partnering with one of Australia’s leading natural gas producers. They have a great reputation for creating a safety-focused culture, whilst they expand their operations in Queensland’s onshore gas reserves.
The Senior Market Risk Analyst/Risk Analyst will support the team in the identification, analysis, reporting and management of various risks faced by the business. These risks primarily relate to market and credit risk matters across a range of commodities and commodity derivatives, primarily electricity and emissions scheme certificates. This role is also responsible for assisting in preserving the integrity of good corporate governance through establishment, maintenance and monitoring of a strong internal control environment.
Some of the key deliverables and responsibilities for this role are as follows:
- Drive understanding of the design and utilization of methodologies to assess risk/reward of the portfolio, including VaR back-testing / Stress Testing / Scenario Analysis / pricing for liquidity
- Risk reporting: The independent reporting and monitoring of risk exposures against Board approved policy limits, together with reporting of various other trading and risk related matters, is one of the core activities of the Risk Management team
- Market data management: Retail systems require up to date wholesale market information, primarily comprising various commodity spot, forward prices and Greek statistics. This information is used for a variety of purposes such as inputs to forward curves, derivative valuation calculations, settlement calculations, a range of statistical risk metrics (e.g. EaR) and liquidity modelling;
- Developing Risk reporting models, tools and systems to meet evolving business requirements;
- Delivery and maintenance of Forward Curve models for both Risk and Finance models
- Verification of counterparty Credit Calculation or Calculation of Credit Requirements when ERM is the calculation agent;
- Administration management of Retail systems, including testing new features, rolling out updates, user permissions and notifications;
- Verification of contracts: The Risk Analyst is responsible for ensuring the completeness, validity and accuracy of various commodity derivative deals captured in the trading systems. This is done by checking the deal details in the system against the deal tickets sent by the traders when new deals are created;
- Verification of futures broker statements: Retail conducts trading activity of electricity future and option contracts on the ASX, executed via brokers. The brokers send daily statements with details of transactions conducted during the day, together with the latest market value of the open positions.
- Month End reporting: Apply specific accounting treatments onto the valuation numbers prior to present them for financial reporting purposes. The Risk Analyst is responsible to aggregate the hedge positions and retail sales data, value them using derived market available forward curves and provide them to the Finance team;
- Policy management: The Risk Analyst will assist the Risk Manager in maintaining the various components of Retail Risk Management
- Policy as required, together with assisting in ensuring compliance with those policy matters related to market and credit risk management and reporting.
- Assist with automating any identified settlements processes to make efficiency gains; and
- Maintain and update control documentation and procedure notes in relation to the above.
- Senior Analyst 5+/Risk Analyst 3+ years of experience in energy or financial market risk management;
- Experience in calculation, analysis, and interpretation of VaR, EaR and other statistical metrics with a view to providing a detailed commentary on the implications on portfolio
- Demonstrated hands on analyst with excellent skills and experience in MS Excel, SQL, R, Python, VBA and Power Queries
- Demonstrated strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Must be a team player with a positive attitude
- Possess a high attention to detail and is proactive
- $7-800/day Incl Super
- Brisbane Based position
- Great Culture | Safety Focused | Professional Team
Brunel is a recruitment and flexible workforce solution provider which connects talented people with opportunities throughout Australasia and around the world. We specialise in highly skilled roles across a variety of technical, professional, trades and craft disciplines, pairing candidates with industry-leading projects and organisations on a contract, permanent or secondment basis.
Operating in Australasia since 2001, Brunel has major bases of operation in Perth, Sydney, Brisbane and Port Moresby, which are further backed by the strength and reach of a truly global network spanning over 40 countries, 100+ offices and 45 years of successful operation.
Brunel is proud to be equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and female candidates.
Connecting Specialists to Pioneering Projects
How to apply
How to apply
If you meet the above requirements and would like to be considered for this role, please submit your interest using the ‘Apply’ button. Applying is quick and easy – just make sure you have the following documents ready to go:
- Cover Letter (optional)